Sunday, September 30, 2007

Superstar

In November, Ellie will attend the most fantastic, frivolous, glittering and glamorous event of the year. She's been talking about it for weeks. Scores of girls are green with envy. In fact, thousands couldn't get tickets and many of those who did paid up to $1000 or more. On November 24, Ellie, her best friend Iliana, and her valet, I mean mother, will be attending the Hannah Montana concert in Knoxville!

I hasten to add that we did not pay $1000, or anything close. In fact, we got our tickets online, in a special fan club sale, before the frenzy began (during which all remaining tickets sold out in only fifteen minutes). Since then, I've tried several times to convince Ellie that we should sell our three first-section seats, which we purchased for $156, for $3000 (which is what they're going for) - but she won't hear of it, so I guess the concert is a go.

Now, I'm not much into teeny girl bands. But I must admit that I'm kind of looking forward to this one. For one thing, I actually like Miley Cyrus's music. She's a good musician and, as teen stars go, not a bad role model for my star-struck daughter.

I'm also looking forward to having a whole day and a half of girl-time with my favorite girl (Ellie) and her friend Iliana, who is sweet, respectful, vivacious, and a good influence on Ellie and me.

Our planned schedule involves driving to Knoxville on Saturday, attending the concert, staying in a motel for the night, and eating breakfast Sunday morning before heading home - which gives us plenty of opportunity for relaxation, quality time, and downright self-pampering. I'm looking forward to such things as no charts, no alarm clock Sunday morning, and no family members of the opposite gender to care for (apologies to JD, Owen and Jonah who will be on their own!).

For these luxuries, I may just trade my hearing ability. And perhaps my sanity - consider that on the way home, I will be a captive audience to up to 3 1/2 hours of gossip, raves, and swooning over the Jonas brothers (who are opening the show). Oh, and I may just be crushed at the concert since our seats are in the section in front of the stage, and my child, along with who knows how many very determined girls, will be trying to get as close as possible to Hannah herself.

As I reflect on Hannah Montana and the meaning of life, I realize that this concert will take place just nine days after my 39th birthday. I am still not sure if it will make me feel younger or older to be there, but I am quite sure that, being there with Ellie, it will not matter. When I look at her, I see traces and threads of myself, but much younger and more energetic, and with a whole lot of improvements. That makes me really proud. And it kind of makes me forget about getting older.

So, here's to being a girl and feeling invincible. Watching Ellie now, I am quite sure that is how she feels. And who knows? In the words of Hannah Montana, "Who says I can't be a superstar?" It sure worked for her.

To me, Ellie is a superstar in the making, even if she never sets foot on a stage. The world is her stage, and I can't wait to see what she does with it.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Hi Jenny,

Just found your link on JD's blog. Wow--so how did the concert go? I splurged on Madonna tickets almost 2 years ago now...they cost more, but can you believe that your Miss Montana concert sold out just as quickly as the Material Girl's shows did here in London? Wild.